Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Freedom to Choose

I plan to retire at age 48. I'd retire sooner if I could. Why do I want to retire at such an unconventionally young age? I've thought about that a lot, and it took me a long time to realize why. The reason is freedom.

I don't hate my job. As far as jobs go, it's actually pretty good. I don't think that there is a job I could love, because a large part of any job is the commitment of showing up every day and following an agenda that is to some extent (more for some jobs and less for others) out of your control. It is this lack of control over my own life that I resent. I'm looking forward to the day when I can wake up and say to myself "Today I will do what I feel is important to me". On some days, that will mean a leisurely day drinking coffee, reading, and puttering around the house. On other days, it might mean helping a friend or neighbor. Sometimes, it might mean doing conventional work similar to my current job, but on a freelance basis. But what it will always mean is the freedom to decide for myself.

PS: To my boss; if you read this, please note that I said "my job is actually pretty good" and I also implied that I am committed to showing up every day and following your agenda. Any negative tone you noted was completely in your head. I live and die to serve you.

No comments: